What is SIP Trunking?
This is one of those questions that can get very complex very quickly. The short and easy answer breaks down into two definitions:
- SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) is THE way a VoIP/Hosted/Cloud-based calls are connected. It’s the latest version of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
- Trunking is just another word for line, as in a traditional telephone line (analog or digital).
What Sets SIP Apart From Traditional Telephone Service?
- SIP technology controls not only VoIP, but also video and messaging applications. If you’re familiar with Unified Communications then whether you know if or not, you’re familiar with SIP, it’s how UCaaS communicates.
- SIP trunking is ‘virtual’ which means SIP can have as many concurrent voice, video, and messaging sessions as your internet bandwidth will allow (vs. traditional trunking where each call has to have a physical phone line).
- Because SIP trunking uses the internet, it’s much less expensive than traditional calling. And is a great way to reduce costs.
- SIP is ideal for disaster recovery. If an internet connection goes down on one location SIP trunks can be rerouted to another, working internet connection until service is restored.
- SIP trunks work with traditional phone systems and PBX’s which makes transitioning from a traditional phone system to a cloud based phone system.
When is SIP a Good Fit For Your Business?
There are a few answers to this question:
- You have a traditional or VoIP phone system on premise that you want keep, but you still have traditional phone lines (ISDN, analog) that are expensive.
- SIP trunking uses your internet connection so the expensive phone lines can be disconnected.
- SIP service can be activated and integrated with your phone system very quickly and easily.
- SIP trunking is much less expensive and cost savings is immediate.
- You want to migrate your phone system to a cloud based solution
- This involves not only SIP trunking, but a full service SIP provider.
- Access to UCaaS providing you with access to video, messaging, and collaboration.
- Ongoing features
- Predictable monthly expense including support. With Evolve you only pay for the number of employees you have on a monthly basis.
- You have employees working remotely (Covid and beyond)
- SIP just needs the internet to connect. Employees now have access to corporate voice, video, messaging, and collaboration from anywhere there’s internet (home, café, hotels)
- You don’t have to have a SIP phone to make voice calls. You can now use your PC/Mac, smartphone, or tablet as your primary communication device.
In today’s technology driven, remote worker environment it’s unlikely that any business would install traditional lines or trunks given the flexibility and cost of SIP service, but to be sure, contact us today and we can discuss a solution!